Our Diversity and Inclusion Vision
The City of Red Deer is a vibrant, healthy and diverse organization that supports a welcoming and inclusive community where everyone feels safe and can fully participate in community life.
Leading by Example
The City of Red Deer has made it a priority to foster a culture of diversity and inclusion. So far, our efforts include:
- Became a signatory to the Canadian Coalition of Municipalities against Racism and Discrimination in March 2013
- Hired a full time specialist in Diversity and Inclusion
- Established a corporate Diversity Team
- Developed ongoing training for staff
- Included diversity in Red Deer's community narrative
- Incorporated diversity into The City's Strategic Plan
- Launched the Welcoming & Inclusive Communities (WIC) Network
- Hosted the 2016 Fostering Diverse Communities Conference
- Introducing our Text with 911 program
Recognition of Aboriginal Territories
The City of Red Deer acknowledges the ancestral and traditional Aboriginal territories of Treaty 6 and 7 nations on whose territories we work together to build a welcoming and inclusive community.
Red Deer WIC Network
The Red Deer Welcoming & Inclusive Communities (WIC) Network came together in late 2015 as a community group interested in reducing racism and discrimination, supporting The City as a signatory to the Canadian Coalition of Municipalities Against Racism and Discrimination. It was established following a series of City-led community conversations on building a welcoming and inclusive community related to Indigenous People, immigrants and refugees, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, visible minorities, multi-faith, persons with disabilities, multi-generations, and gender equity; all aspects of diversity.
Review the 2016 Red Deer WIC Network Needs Assessment (pdf)
WIC Network Member List (pdf)
WIC Network Terms of Reference (pdf)
WIC Network Facebook page
Tymmarah (Tymm) Sheculski, MA
Human Resource Specialist – Diversity & Inclusion