Detached Garage, Carport or Shed
You’ll need a building permit for a detached garage, carport, or any shed that is over 10 metres2. Sheds under 10 metres2 that are not permanently attached to the foundation don’t need a permit, but still need to follow the Land Use Bylaw building guidelines.
To apply for a building permit for your garage or shed you will need:
- Building Permit Application (pdf)
- Development Permit - Small Residential (pdf)
- Residential Application Requirement List (pdf)
- 2 detailed site plans that show the proposed location of the garage/shed and the locations of any other buildings, easements, and services
- Garage Application Detail Sheet (pdf)
You may also need:
Here are a couple things to keep in mind:
- detached garages, carports, and sheds can’t be taller than 4.5 metres or wider than two-thirds the width of your yard
- no more than 40 per cent of your yard can be covered by your house and any other buildings in an R1 location. Other zonings may allow more or less percentage. Find out your zoning by viewing the Land Use Bylaw 3357/2006 - Index Map (pdf) then find the rules for your zoning by viewing the Land Use Bylaw 3357/2006 - Part 4 - Residential Districts and Regulations (pdf)
- accessory buildings can’t be built in the front yard or on City boulevards
- your building must be located at least 3 feet (0.9 metres) from the side property line
- if there is an easement at the rear of the property, your building must be 0.5 metres from the easement or it can be located 6 metres from the rear property line
- special provisions are required to build over a sewer or water line
- you can’t build over gas, electrical, phone, or cable television lines
Once your permit is ready to go, you’ll need to start your development within 90 days of the permit being issued, and a safety codes inspection is required. You can schedule your inspection online using MyInspections.
Contact Inspections and Licensing for more information, confirm zoning, and to complete a plan check to see exactly what size and where you can build your garage or carport.