Sign Permits

You’ll need a sign permit to erect new signs for a business, replace existing signs, or place portable signs on a site.

Sign Permit

You will need a sign permit for these types of signs:

You will not need a sign permit for these types of signs:

*Although some signs do not require permits, they are still subject to specific regulations under the Land Use Bylaw Section 3.3 and 3.4

To apply for a Sign Permit you will need:

  • Sign Permit Application (pdf)
  • Pictures, drawings, and/or diagram of what the sign(s) look like
  • Dimensions of the sign(s)
  • Site plan showing the location of the signs on the property
  • If the sign is free standing, the distance from property lines is required on the site plan
  • A letter of authorization from the property owner 

Here are some things to keep in mind when making an application:

  • Not all signs are a permitted use. Please review The City of Red Deer Land Use Bylaw to ensure you are allowed to place a certain type of sign on your site. 

For more information, call Inspections & Licensing at 403-342-8190 or visit us on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.