The City of Red Deer is in the midst of a major redevelopment of Riverlands, one of three key districts that will become focal points in Greater Downtown Red Deer. Each district will have its own character and complement the other.
The Riverlands site currently consists of City-owned land and privately-owned land, which is a mix of commercial and residential development. The City owns approximately 23 acres of developable land that will be made available for sale in the future. We will be working with developers to create an innovative medium to high density mixed-use, pedestrian friendly neighbourhood with lively streets and vibrant outdoor public spaces.
- Medium to high density housing, including the opportunity for up to 10-storey mixed-use (residential and commercial) development.
- Primarily commercial development, including retail stores and restaurants.
- Informal public spaces including space for gatherings and events.
- Proposed cultural facilities (e.g., public market, artist studios, etc.).
- Unique green spaces designed to reinforce the connection to the river and encourage activity.
- Enhanced trail connections to Waskasoo Park and pedestrian friendly access to the Downtown core.