Home Business License

If you’re operating a business out of your home, chances are you need a Home Business or a Home Occupation License.

This type of license is required if you intend to operate an office from your home, or have customers to your home. If you intend to have customers/clients to your home you will have to get approval first.

There are several things to keep in mind when starting or operating a home business in Red Deer

  • Your home business can be staffed by up to two adults, and both must live in the home.
  • You can’t post any signs advertising your home business.
  • Your home business can’t disturb your neighbours, either through noise, odour, or increased traffic.
  • You can only have one vehicle used for the home business parked at your home or on the street.
  • You can’t store any equipment or materials for your home business outside your home.
  • Depending on the type of work you are doing, you may be required to provide additional documentation, including, but not limited to:
    • Masters Certificate
    • Massage Certificate
    • Plumbing/Gas/HVAC tickets
    • HMVIC
    • Health approval

To apply for a Home Business License

Fill out the Application for Home Occupation License (pdf) and submit it in one of the following ways:

  • Email a home business license application form to licensing@reddeer.ca
  • Fax in a home business license application form at 403-342-8200
  • Visit us at City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
  • Phone us at 403-342-8190

If your home business has in-home clients

Fill out the Development Permit - Home Occupation (pdf) and provide the following information:

  • A letter of intent giving details about your proposed home business
  • Hours and days of operation
  • On-site parking plan
  • Expected number of clients per day or per week
  • Methods of advertising
  • Amount of space to be used for the business (maximum of 322 square feet or 20 per cent of net floor area, whichever is less)
  • Information about any neighbourhood opinion polls you’ve conducted about your proposed business

Please note: if you do not own the home where the business if operating from, a letter of authorization from the property owner will need to accompany your application.

For more information, call Inspections & Licensing.