Steps to Starting a Business
Links and resources to help you start a business
You can also visit Alberta Small Business Resources for more information.
- Develop a business plan. Need help? contact Community Futures to connect with experts.
- Complete your market research.
- Obtain financial commitment before proceeding with start-up costs.
- Register your business name with Corporate Registry.
- Visit BizPaL to find out what permits and licenses you need to start your business.
- Click on the Licensing section for Red Deer-specific license and permit information.
- Contact Canada Revenue Agency for info on corporate income tax and GST.
- Register your company with the Workers' Compensation Board.
- Contact Canada Revenue Agency to obtain an employer's account number for Unemployment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan deductions.
- If you employ five or more people, register with the Alberta Health Insurance Plan.
- Ensure that you comply with the pertinent labour regulations by contacting the Employment Standards Branch of Alberta Human Services.
- Contact the Government of Alberta if assistance is required to locate and/or train new employees.
- Ensure that all health regulations that relate to your business have been investigated.
- Obtain appropriate insurance, leases and other operating needs.
- Ensure that all environmental issues that affect your business have been investigated.
For more information on business start-up and development, contact the Land & Economic Development department.