Multi-Use Aquatic Centre
- This is an update on the planned Multi-Use Aquatic Centre. Planning for the Multi-Use Aquatic Centre is currently scheduled for 2019 as a part of the Capital Plan, with construction scheduled to begin in 2021.
- In 2011, the Central Alberta Aquatic Centre (CAAC) and The City of Red Deer worked collaboratively with consultants on a study to identify a location, develop a conceptual model and business plan for a future multi-use aquatic centre, which was presented to Council.
- Recommendations included:
- In 2014, an Ad Hoc Committee of Council reviewed and recommended Rotary Recreation Park to be the site for the Multi-Use Aquatic Centre. City Council endorsed this recommendation.
- In the conceptual design for this amenity, a 10 lane (54m) pool, two bulkheads, moveable floor, hot tub, steam/sauna rooms, separate dive tank, outdoor leisure pool (25m), sunbathing terrace, child care, retail, concession, wellness, multi-purpose meeting space, swim club, timekeeping and spectator space was recommended.
- The facility is recommended to be built to meet FINA standards for national competitions, with environment top of mind.
- Design will begin in 2019, with construction scheduled to begin in 2021.
- Site improvements will also include the south parking lot as well as the completion of the pedestrian promenade as per the 2010 Rotary Recreation and Parks Master Plan.
Budget Requirements and Council Decision Points
Council will be asked to adopt a Capital Plan in principle that includes a multi-use aquatic centre as a project beginning in 2019, with construction recommended to start in 2021. In 2017, Council will consider this as a placeholder only.