Mayor Tara Veer
c/o Box 5008
Red Deer, AB T4N 3T4
Tara is a born and raised Red Deerian and has demonstrated herself as a passionate advocate for the people she has had the privilege of representing since 2004 on Red Deer City Council.
- Elected as Mayor in 2013
- Elected to City Council in 2004, 2007 and 2010
Council Leadership Positions
- Municipal Planning Commission, Chair
- Audit Committee, Elected Chair, 2009-2013
- Nomination Committee, Elected Chair, 2009-2011
- Central Alberta Waste Commission, Elected Vice-Chair, 2013
- Inter-City Forum on Social Policy, Elected Vice-Chair, 2012
Government Leadership Appointments
- Appointed by the Mayor of The City of Red Deer to the Red Deer Native Friendship Society Joint Negotiations Committee, Co-Chair 2012 to Current
- Appointed by the Chair of Inter-City Forum on Social Policy to the Alberta Action to End Poverty Advisory Committee, 2012 to 2014
- Appointed by Minister of Municipal Affairs to the Alberta Affordable Housing Task Force, 2007
Community Building Leadership Positions
- Immigrant Women’s Economic Security Project: Central Alberta Immigrant Women’s Association in Partnership with Status of Women Canada, Elected Chair, 2012 to 2014
- Establishing Youth Addictions Treatment Centre for Red Deer: Community Advisory Committee Member for McMann Services, 2011 to 2013
- Establishing Central Alberta Advocacy Centre: Community Advisory Member, 2015 to 2017.
Community Charitable Support & Fundraising
- Tara personally gives to numerous local charities and has helped raise significant funds for the following local charities: Red Deer Hospice Society, Canadian Cancer Society, Central Alberta Alzheimer’s Society, and McMann Services Youth Addictions Treatment Centre, Women's Outreach, Aspire, Big Brothers & Sisters, Central Alberta Sexual Assault Centre, Central Alberta Child Advocacy Centre. among other local causes.
Council Committee & Community Board Experience
Over the course of her tenure on City Council, Tara has actively served terms on all of the following committees & boards:
- Westerner Board
- Tourism Red Deer
- River Bend Golf & Recreation Society
- Downtown Business Association
- Parkland Community Planning Services
- Environmental Advisory Board
- Waskasoo Environmental Education Society
- Emergency Management Committee
- Policing Committee
- Heritage Preservation Committee
- Museum & Art Gallery
- Public Art Jury
- Library Board
- Centennial Celebrations Committee
- Inter-City Forum on Social Policy
- Community Housing Advisory Board
- Family & Community Support Services
- Studied Sociology with a Concentration in Criminology at Red Deer College and Queen’s University, Graduated with Bachelor of Arts with Honours from Queen's University.
- Attended River Glen Senior High School, Valedictorian
- Past employment with Red Deer’s Member of Parliament where Tara advocated for constituents to various federal government departments.
- Past employment with Living Stones Church where Tara served as Executive Director and previously as Children’s Ministry Coordinator.
Other Awards & Recognitions
- Governor General’s Medal for Highest Scholastic Standing
- Alberta Heritage Alexander Rutherford Scholarship for Exceptional Academic Achievement
- Voted in the Red Deer Express People's Choice Awards as Gold "Favourite City Councillor" in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Voted in the Red Deer Express People's Choice Awards as a "Most Beloved Red Deerian" in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- Voted in the Red Deer Express People's Choice Awards as "Favourite Local Politician" in 2014, 2015, and 2016.
- Time with Family and Friends
- Reading, Reading, and more Reading
- Jogging and In-line Skating
- Gardening and Landscaping