The Mayor’s Recognition Awards recognize Red Deer individuals, groups or teams who have brought honour and recognition to Red Deer in one of five categories. The Athletics Award recognizes an individual or team placing first in a national event or competition or first, second or third in an international event or competition.
- Nominees must have placed first in a national event or competition or first, second or third in an international event or competition where the event has been sanctioned by the respective national or international governing body of the particular sport.
- Nominees in the individual category must attain a higher standing in an event or competition in a given sport to be eligible for subsequent awards.
- Nominations will be considered only on the basis of standing in an event or competition, as opposed to achievements or service to the sport.
- Nominees will be considered for an award only in the year immediately following the year in which the achievement occurred.
- For individuals, “Event” means a single activity or contest. (e.g. a 50m freestyle swim); “Competition” means a multiple activity contest made up of more than one event (e.g. a swim meet).
- For teams, “Event” means a single activity contest with two or more participants (e.g. a 200m freestyle relay swim); “Competition” means a multiple activity contest with two or more participants made up of more than one event (e.g. a hockey tournament).
- Nominees may have competed at an amateur or professional level.
Refer to the Mayor's Recognition Awards for more information, including past recipients and the nomination process.