- Nominees must have:
- placed first in a national event or competition; or
- placed first, second or third in an international event or competition where the event has been sanctioned by the respective national or international governing body of the particular sport; or
- placed first at the highest possible level that can be achieved in their sport.
- Nominees in the individual category must attain a higher standing in an event or competition in a given sport to be eligible for subsequent awards.
- Nominations will be considered only on the basis of standing in an event or competition, as opposed to achievements or service to the sport.
- Nominees will be considered for an award only in the year immediately following the year in which the achievement occurred.
- For Individuals:
- “Event” means a single activity or contest (e.g. a 50m free style swim); and/or
- “Competition” means a multiple activity contest made up of more than one event (e.g. a swim meet)
- For Teams:
- “Event” means single activity contest with two or more participants (e.g. a 200m free style relay swim); and/or
- “Competition” means a multiple activity contest with two or more participants made up of more than one event (e.g. a hockey tournament)
- Nominees may have competed at an amateur or professional level.
Refer to the Mayor's Recognition Awards for more information, including past recipients and the nomination process.