Fire Pits are permitted in the City of Red Deer provided the following conditions are met.
- Always check if a Fire Ban is in effect before starting a backyard fire.
- Burn only clean, dry, untreated wood or charcoal (No yard waste)
- A competent person must remain in charge of the fire at all times
- Flames are not to exceed 1 meter in height
- A means of thoroughly extinguishing the fire is available, ie: garden hose
- The fire does not create a nuisance to any other person
- The fire does not create a risk of damage to people or property
- Ensure that the fire is extinguished leaving only cold ashes before supervision of the fire ends
- Fire pits must meet the following requirements:
- a minimum of 3 meters clearance shall be maintained from buildings, property lines, trees, overhead power lines, combustible fences or any combustible material;
- installations must have enclosed sides made from bricks, concrete blocks, or heavy gauge metal, or other suitable non-combustible components;
- has an open flame area not exceeding 1 meter at its widest point;
- does not have walls which exceed .75 meters in height measured from the floor of the fire pit to the top of the wall excluding any chimney
- is set into bare ground or other noncombustible surface;
- a spark arrestor mesh screen of 12 mm (1/2 inch) expanded metal (or equivalent) to contain sparks shall be provided over the fire