If Your Power is Out
Report an outage
Contact us if your power goes out or other electrical trouble occurs. Please be prepared to describe the problem and your location. This will help us identify possible causes so that our crews can restore your electricity as quickly as possible.
During regular business hours: 403-342-8274 (7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
After hours: 403-348-5700 (evenings, weekends, holidays)
For gas related issues, please contact Atco Gas 1-800-511-3447
For water related issues, please visit Water, Wastewater and Storm.
During a power outage
- Never go near a fallen power line
- Call 911 for life threatening or emergency situations
- Gather your emergency kit
- Check your breaker panel or fuse box
- Turn off tools, appliances and equipment
- Turn down thermostat to minimum
- Turn off all lights, except one so that you know when power is back on
- Do not use outdoor equipment (camp stove, lantern, barbecue, etc.) inside your home
- Never plug a portable generator into a household outlet
- Keep your refrigerator and freezer closed. Food in a full freezer will remain frozen for 24 to 36 hours. Dairy products should be discarded after six hours.
- Anticipate traffic delays and treat intersections with all signals flashing as a four way stop
After a power outage
Service is often restored without further interruptions; however, sometimes during the restoration process, power may go on and off as crews perform the necessary repairs.
After the power is restored, please:
- Turn on essential appliances first and then others after 10 - 15 minutes
- Reset your thermostat
- Make sure your refrigerator and freezer are back on
- Reset your clocks, automatic timers and alarms
- Restock your emergency kit
View Get Prepared for more information.
What causes power outages?
Some outages are planned in advance and notification is provided to those affected; however, most outages are unplanned.
In order of customer impact, typical outages in Red Deer are caused by:
- Equipment failure
- Vehicles and construction activities