Green Cart Program - Coming Spring 2018
Why Green Carts?
Approximately 40 per cent of household waste is organic and can be composted. Sending these materials to be composted and used on local agricultural land diverts material from the landfill.
What will be able to go in the Green Cart?
- Branches, leaves, grass and garden debris
- Table scraps and plate scrapings
- Fruits and vegetables (raw and cooked)
- Meat, fish and bones
- Dairy products
- Bread and baked goods
- Coffee grounds/filters and tea bags
- Pasta, rice, grains and beans
- Eggs and eggshells
- Food-soiled paper towels, napkins and tissues
- Pet waste and kitty litter
- Hair, pet fur and feathers
- Dryer lint
- Wooden popsicle sticks, stir sticks and toothpicks
- Compostable bags
What will not go in the Green Cart?
- Plastic bags
- Bags labeled “biodegradable” or “degradable"
- Clean paper and cardboard - please place in Blue Box
- Styrofoam take-out trays, egg cartons, cups etc.
- Wax-coated paper products (e.g. coffee cups)
- Animal carcasses
- Branches greater 1 inch in diameter
- Noxious weeds
- Soil, sod and rocks
For more information on the cart program, review our Q&A City-wide Green Cart Roll Out pdf (pdf) .
View or download the Green Cart At-A-Glance Reference Card (pdf).
For further questions or inquiries, call the Blue Line at 403-340-BLUE (2583).