Green Cart Program
Compatibilities: Put these items in your Green Cart
- Fruits and vegetables (raw and cooked)
- Table and plate scraps
- Meat, fish, bones and poultry carcasses
- Dairy products
- Bread and baked goods
- Coffee grounds, filters and tea bags
- Pasta, grains and beans
- Eggs and eggshells
- Food-soiled paper towels and napkins
- Brush, leaves and branches
- Grass and garden debris
- Wood shavings and chips
- Visit Yard Waste to learn more
- All forms of pet waste
- Kitty litter
- Pet fur and feathers
Don't put these items in your cart
- Plastic bags
- Plastic containers
- Feminine hygiene products
- Large or domestic animal carcasses
- Diseased branches
- Fire pit ashes
Green Cart User Guide
- Store your Green Cart where most convenient, like in your yard or garage.
- Write your address on the white area on the side of your cart.
- Review what goes in your cart (listed above).
- Set your cart out on your collection day (details below).
- Place any excess yard waste beside the Green Cart, according to the pickup guidelines.
- Return the cart back to your property after collection.
- Periodically rinsing your cart can help keep it tidy.
Kitchen Container User Guide
- Store your Kitchen Container where most convenient, like under the sink.
- Empty your Kitchen Container into your Green Cart as necessary.
- Wash or rinse your container as needed. Your Kitchen Container is also dishwasher safe.
- Lining the Kitchen Container can also help keep it tidy. Paper bags, newspaper or certified compostable bags can all be used. Guide to compostable bags and liners (pdf)
Green Cart pickup is on the same day and location as your usual waste collection.
Set out by 7 a.m. on collection days
Set your cart on flat ground with one metre clearance on all sides, including behind, so the truck's arms can access it. Ensure your cart is clear of all obstructions, such as your excess yard waste, garbage bags, blue boxes, fence, trees and parked vehicles.
Green Carts will be collected from your current waste collection location.
Front street pick-up: Place with wheels against curb and white directional arrow pointing toward the street.
Back alley pick-up: Place with wheels toward your property and white directional arrow pointing toward the alley.