Heating, Plumbing and Gas

Find out when you need a heating, plumbing or gas permit and how to apply.


You’ll need a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) permit for any HVAC or hydronic heating work in your house.

Heating Permit Application Form (pdf)

Only a licensed heating contractor will be given a permit for new home HVAC work. 


If plumbing is already existing and you are attaching fixtures, a plumbing permit is not required. For any alterations or new plumbing, a permit is required.

Plumbing Permit Application (pdf)

Only a licensed plumbing contractor will be given a permit for new home plumbing work. You may do your own plumbing for any renovations or additions to existing plumbing as long as you are pre-approved to do so by one of the Plumbing Inspectors. To do this, a detailed schematic will have to be submitted for review.


You’ll need a gas fitting permit for any gas fitting work in your house.

Gas Permit Application Form (pdf)

Only a licensed gas fitting contractor will be given a permit.


You’ll need at least two safety code inspections during the course of your heating, plumbing, or gas installations.

  1. A rough-in inspection before concealing any work.
  2. A final inspection when the project is done.

You’ll need to fix any deficiencies brought up during the inspections. You may need follow-up inspections depending on how bad the deficiencies are, or written notification to your inspector of their completion.

You can schedule your inspection online using MyInspections.

For more information, call Inspections & Licensing at 403-342-8190 or visit us on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

News & Notices

The City turns off the lights to ...

March 22, 2017

Red Deerians are encouraged to turn off their lights for one hour on Saturday to conserve energy and raise awareness of climate change in celebration of Earth Hour.