Secondary Suite Process and Permits

You’ll need a building permit for a secondary suite if you are constructing the suite in a brand new house, an undeveloped basement, or retrofitting an existing basement to accommodate a suite.

Secondary Suite Building Permit

Prior to applying for a building permit you are required to obtain a Development permit for a secondary suite.

All secondary suites must be constructed to the current edition of Alberta Building Code standard, which include some of the following:

  • room and unit separations
  • separate heating and ventilation systems
  • egress bedroom windows
  • separate entrance
  • habitable room height
  • interconnected smoke alarms

To apply for a building permit for a secondary suite you will need:

You may also need:

Here are some things to keep in mind when planning your secondary suite:

  • You can only have one suite in your home.
  • You must have a separate entrance for your suite.

Occupancy of the secondary suite is not permitted until a valid occupancy permit is approved and issued by the City of Red Deer.

For more information, call Inspections & Licensing at 403-342-8190 or visit us on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

News & Notices

The City turns off the lights to ...

March 22, 2017

Red Deerians are encouraged to turn off their lights for one hour on Saturday to conserve energy and raise awareness of climate change in celebration of Earth Hour.

Urban chicken cap increases in Red Deer

March 21, 2017

Red Deer City Council has approved final reading to an amendment to the Chicken Bylaw, which increases the overall number of chicken licenses allowed across the city.