Home Security Checklist
Complete this security checklist to find out if your home may be vulnerable to thieves. This survey can also help you evaluate the security risks of a home you plan to purchase or rent.
- Shrubs are cut below window level.
- Tree limbs are cut above window level.
- Residence number is visible from the street, and at night.
- All entrances to the house and garage are well lit.
- Bicycles, lawn mowers, ladders, etc. are kept inside.
- You know your neighbours and watch out for each otherʼs property, or you belong to a Neighbourhood Watch program.
- Doors have 180 degree peepholes.
- Inside locks are at least one metre from glass.
- Exterior doors are solid-core.
- Exterior doors have 2.5 cm deadbolts.
- Door jambs are securely fastened.
- Strike plates and hinges are secured with 7.5 cm (3") screws.
- Deadbolts extend sufficiently into strike plates.
- Locks have been changed or re-keyed since you moved in.
- Windows are secure (pinned or with back-up locks).
- Metal windows and basement windows have back-up locks.
- Curtains cover windows completely.
- Garage door closes tightly.
- Overhead garage door has quality lock.
- Doors are locked and closed when not in use.
- Remote garage door opener is customized for your garage door.
- Keys are removed from vehicle while itʼs in the garage.
- Garage light can be turned on from inside the house.
Read more details in our Protecting Your Home and Property Brochure (pdf) .