Traffic and Photo Radar Locations
Traffic safety enforces traffic rules for the safety of all citizens, whether they are walking, skateboarding, biking, riding public transit, or travelling in a vehicle. Our work is guided by the Road Safety Vision 2010.
Red Deer school zones and playground zones: 30 km/hr
School zones (school days only)
8 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
3 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Playground zones (every day)
8:30 a.m. to one hour after sunset
*School and playground zones will change August 1, 2017. Read more on our speed limits page.
Our goal is to reduce high speeds, especially in school zones, which are a major location of traffic collisions. Photo radar and red light cameras have reduced the number of collisions in Red Deer.
Cameras photograph the license plates of speeding motorists and vehicles running red lights. Tickets are issued through the mail to the registered owners. Because the owner may not have been the offending driver, no demerit points are assessed.
Photo Radar and Red Light Cameras
- Are operated by The City of Red Deer but a contractor provides the equipment and processes and mails the tickets.
- Increase safety on city streets and reduce the number of incidents.
- Are used in school zones, playground zones and major traffic arteries and intersections where there are frequent problems.
- Are announced with signs at the major entrances to the city.
- Are moved numerous places with general locations disclosed to the media.
- Do not replace traffic officers, reduce the number of radar guns in use or affect staffing.
Photo Radar Sites/Enforcement Locations
March 15 - March 31, 2017
69 Street Drive, 57 Avenue, Lancaster Drive, 49 Avenue, 48 Avenue, 60 Street, Nolan Street
Oak Street, Carrington Drive, Cornett Drive, Timberstone Way, 55 Avenue, Glendale Blvd., 47 Avenue
48th Avenue, 49 Avenue, 50 Avenue, Taylor Drive, Edgar Industrial Drive, Oak Street, 49 Street
RCMP reserves the option of site/location changes without notice.