Traffic and Photo Radar Locations
Traffic safety enforces traffic rules for the safety of all citizens, whether they are walking, skateboarding, biking, riding public transit, or travelling in a vehicle. Our work is guided by the Road Safety Vision 2010.
Red Deer school zones and playground zones: 30 km/hr
School zones (school days only)
8 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
3 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Playground zones (every day)
8:30 a.m. to one hour after sunset
*School and playground zones will change August 1, 2017. Read more on our School and Playground Zones page.
Our goal is to reduce high speeds, especially in school zones, which are a major location of traffic collisions. Photo radar and red light cameras have reduced the number of collisions in Red Deer.
Cameras photograph the license plates of speeding motorists and vehicles running red lights. Tickets are issued through the mail to the registered owners. Because the owner may not have been the offending driver, no demerit points are assessed.
Photo Radar and Red Light Cameras
- Are operated by The City of Red Deer but a contractor provides the equipment and processes and mails the tickets.
- Increase safety on city streets and reduce the number of incidents.
- Are used in school zones, playground zones and major traffic arteries and intersections where there are frequent problems.
- Are announced with signs at the major entrances to the city.
- Are moved numerous places with general locations disclosed to the media.
- Do not replace traffic officers, reduce the number of radar guns in use or affect staffing.
Photo Radar Sites/Enforcement Locations
May 16 - May 31, 2017
Lancaster Drive, Nolan Street, 48 Avenue, 42A Avenue, 55 Avenue, 39 Street
Lalor Drive, Jewel Street, 47 Avenue, Oak Street, Cornett Drive, 58 Street, 57 Avenue, McLean Street
HWY 11A, Burnt Park Drive, 49 Avenue, 77 Street, 50 Avenue, 49 Street, 50 Street, 22 Street.
Intersection Speed Enforcement
Red Deer City Council has approved the implementation of intersection speed enforcement.
- From April 10, 2017 to July 10, 2017, a contracted vendor will be updating automated traffic enforcement equipment utilized in the City of Red Deer.
- Warning tickets for intersection speeding offences will be issued from July 11, 2017 to August 10, 2017.
- Starting on August 11, 2017 violation tickets for intersection speeding offences will require payment.
Red light infractions and tickets issued by mobile photo radar units will continue to be issued as normal.
RCMP reserves the option of site/location changes without notice.