Your Property Tax
Payments are due by June 30, 2018. Pay early to ensure payments are processed on time to avoid a seven per cent penalty on July 1. Taxpayers who do not receive their Tax Notice by Friday, June 8, 2018 should contact Revenue & Assessment Services at 403-342-8126.
Even though property tax dollars are collected in Red Deer, it doesn't all stay here. Under provincial legislation, The City must collect property taxes on behalf of Alberta Education and the Piper Creek Foundation to pay for education and affordable seniors housing. The tax rate has been set for 2018, refer to the Property Tax Q&A Backgrounder 2018 (pdf) for more information.
Property taxes are due the last day of June. There are several options for payment:
- In person, City Hall 4914 - 48 Avenue. Friday, June 29, 2018
- By mail, Payable to The City of Red Deer Box 5008 Red Deer, AB T4N 3T4. Envelopes must be post marked June 30, 2018
- Tax Instalment Plan (TIP), to make convenient monthly payments
- Electronic payments, not all financial institutions have the same payment deadlines, ensure you check with yours for cut-off and processing times when paying online or by phone
- Postdated cheque, drop off a postdated cheque and detachable portion of your tax notice at City Hall anytime, main floor cashier
The City of Red Deer's assessment and tax timeline is as follows:
Mid-January: Property Assessment Notices mailed
Mid-January: Staff available to respond to questions about your property assessment
Mid-March: Property assessment appeals must be received by the clerk of the Assessment Review Board
April: Council sets the tax rates
Late May: Property tax notices mailed
End of June: Property tax payments are due June 30, 2018