67 Street/Johnstone Drive Corridor Improvements
Construction of the 67 Street and Johnstone Drive/Orr Drive roundabout and surrounding roadways will continue this season and is expected to begin May 23, 2017. Work will include:
- Road reconstruction on 67 Street, between Golden West Avenue and the roundabout
- Paving on parts of 66 Street, Orr Drive, Johnstone Drive and 67 Street
- Permanent pavement markings
- Permanent street lighting
- Asphalt trails
- Landscaping of boulevards and roundabout circles
Businesses will remain open throughout construction. For the duration of construction the following road closures and detours will be in place:
- The roundabout will remain open, but will be restricted to one lane in each direction. Turns in all directions will be accommodated.
- Golden West Avenue, from 67 Street to 67 Street Close will be closed. To access businesses on 67 Street Close or Golden West Avenue south, use 65 Avenue from 67 Street or south on Orr Drive from the roundabout.
- Left turns from eastbound 67 Street to Golden West Avenue will not be allowed. To access businesses on Golden West Avenue north of 67 Street, use Johnstone Drive and 71 Street. Southbound traffic on Golden West Avenue will be able to turn right or left on 67 Street.
- See the detour map here: Construction detour map (pdf)
Until further notice, lane restrictions north and southbound on Orr Drive will be in place. Bus routes will be maintained as per existing.
What is a modern roundabout?
A modern roundabout is a circular intersection where drivers travel in a counterclockwise direction around a central island. Drivers enter the roundabout by yielding to traffic already in the roundabout. No lane changes are needed as drivers choose their lane before entering the roundabout and exit at their street.
There are several safety and operational benefits for roundabouts versus signalized intersections including:
- Up to 80 per cent fewer injury and fatal accidents
- Slower speeds resulting in a lower risk of serious vehicle collisions
- Improved traffic flow and fewer delays
- Accommodates higher traffic volumes
To become a roundabout expert and for more tips, visit roundabout.how.