How Potholes Form
- Water seeps through cracks in pavement and softens the roads base, collects, then freezes.
- When the water freezes, it expands and forces the pavement up. Traffic further stresses the pavement.
- The sun dries up the water, leaving a hole under the pavement.
- With no base, the pavement is weakened and collapses under the weight of traffic.
- A pothole is formed where the pavement collapsed. Wear from additional traffic expands the hole.
If you see a pothole please call Public Works at 403-342-8238 or report the pothole online.