Red Deer, Alberta – Red Deer RCMP have charged a man with multiple offences after he was alleged to have stolen merchandise from a store while in possession of a large knife and then fled police in a stolen SUV the afternoon of August 8.
Red Deer RCMP responded to a report of an incident at a store on north Gaetz Avenue shortly after 4:30 pm on August 8, after store staff determined that a male suspect who they approached regarding suspected shoplifting was in possession of a large knife. The male fled the store and drove away in a blue SUV with two female companions. RCMP quickly located the suspect vehicle, which refused to stop for police and fled northbound on Gaetz Avenue and into the Johnstone neighbourhood. Police tracked the SUV and located it abandoned at James Street and Jacobs Close. The suspect was arrested on Johnstone Drive as he attempted to flee the area on foot. Upon arrest, the suspect refused to provide his name but RCMP soon identified him. RCMP located the two females nearby; they were subsequently released without charge.
The SUV had been reported stolen out of Red Deer earlier the same day after it had been left unlocked but with no keys inside.
22 year old Jordan Dempster faces the following charges:
- Criminal Code 88(1) – Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose
- Criminal Code 344(1)(b) – Robbery with weapon
- Criminal Code 249.1(1) – Operation of motor vehicle while being pursued by police
- Criminal Code 129(a) – Resist/ obstruct peace officer
- Criminal Code 355(b) – Possession of stolen property under $5,000 X 2
- Criminal Code 733.1(1) – Fail to comply with probation
Dempster has been remanded to appear in court in Red Deer on August 23 at 9:30 am.
– 30 –
Cpl. Karyn Kay
Red Deer RCMP