News Room

Subscribe RSS Feed Email

RDES respond to Glendale fire

January 10, 2018 3:51 PM
(Red Deer, Alberta)

RDES responded to a structure fire on Gilbert Crescent last night. The fire originated in a basement bedroom, and two people were transported with injuries.

After an investigation, RDES has determined the probable cause of the fire to be the improper use of candles or improper disposal of cigarettes. Damage to the home is estimated to be $150,000.

Residents are reminded to keep the following fire prevention tips in mind, especially during the colder months when RDES finds smoking in buildings increases:

    • Never leave candles unattended that are burning.
    • Consider using flameless candles.
    • Always have a proper ashtray to dispose of cigarettes.
    • Never smoke when you’re tired or drowsy.
    • Do you have working smoke alarms.
    • It is the law that all residential homes have a working smoke alarm within 5 meters of all bedrooms.
    • Check your smoke alarms today; your life may depend on it one day.

For more information, contact:

Wes Van Bavel
Fire Marshal
Red Deer Emergency Services
403-356-2457 

Communications & Strategic Planning
The City of Red Deer
403-342-8147

 

 

- end -