Pride recognizes the impact that lesbian, gay, bisexual, Two Spirit, asexual, queer, intersex and transgender individuals have had on history - locally, nationally, and internationally - and continues to serve as a protest for equality and basic civil rights for 2SLGBTQQIA+ persons around the world.
In Red Deer, most Pride events are held in August during Central Alberta Pride Week, hosted by Central Alberta Pride Society.
Red Deer’s rainbow crosswalk is located on 50 Avenue (“Little Gaetz”) at 50 (Ross) Street. Painted in 2020, the crosswalk is a permanent symbol of our community’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and a reminder to treat everyone with dignity, kindness, and respect. It is a simple gesture by The City of Red Deer to demonstrate recognition of the 2SLGBTQQIA+ community.
Rainbow benches at Ross Street Patio
Visit Ross Street Patio in the heart of downtown to find two rainbow pride benches installed by The City in 2021.
- Central Alberta Pride Society was founded in 2012 to bring LGBT+ awareness and community Red Deer and surrounding areas. https://centralalbertapride.ca
- It Gets Better Project strives to uplift, empower, and connect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) youth around the globe. https://itgetsbetter.org
- Calgary Gay History Project: https://calgarygayhistory.ca/
- Edmonton Queer History Project: https://edmontonqueerhistoryproject.ca
- Alberta GSA Network: GSA is a general acronym used for any student-run and teacher-supported school-based club that works to create welcoming, caring, respectful and safe spaces for students of diverse genders and sexual orientations (LGBTQ2S+) and their allies in schools. GSAs are designed to provide a safe space that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. ‘GSA’ began as an acronym meaning “Gay-Straight-Alliance” but now GSA is meant to encompass many club names such as Queer-Straight-Alliance (QSA), Gender & Sexual Orientation Alliance, Pride Clubs, Rainbow Alliances, and many others. https://www.facebook.com/groups/AlbertaGSANetwork/
- The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning young people. https://thetrevorproject.org