Filing a Complaint

Provincial legislation outlines how complaints must be made.
Your complaint must be submitted on the Assessment Review Board Complaint Form (pdf) . If the Complaint is submitted by an Agent who is appointed and acting on behalf of the property owner, an Assessment Complaint Agent Authorization Form (pdf) will also be required.
Both forms are also available on the Municipal Affairs Website (in pdf format).

The required forms must be completed as prescribed. Significant errors could lead to the complaint being dismissed as invalid.

Points to note:

  • The form must be completed in full.
  • An agent may file a complaint on your behalf if you complete an Agent Authorization Form and include it with the complaint.
  • Your complaint must explain why you think the information or assessed value shown on your Assessment Notice or Tax Notice is incorrect.
  • You must include the correct information. If you disagree with the assessed value, you must include what you believe the assessed value should be.
  • Your complaint must include the filing fee (each municipality sets their own filing fees).
  • Your complaint must be submitted to the Municipality's Clerk (within the municipality that sent out the tax assessment notice) along with the required filing fee.
  • The Tax Assessment Notice will indicate the address of the Municipality at which the complaint must be filed, at as well as the deadline for a complaint to be filed.
  • The Municipality's Clerk will forward the completed forms to the Regional Assessment Review Board Clerk for further handling, until the complaint proceeds to a scheduled hearing or is withdrawn.
  • If there has been a change in the assessment that is in favour of the Complainant, the filing fee is refunded by the Municipality who received the complaint. A change in favour of the Complainant may be the result of either; 1) withdrawn complaint, or 2) a hearing decision.
  • If you no longer wish to proceed with your complaint a Withdrawal Request must be submitted on the 2020 Complaint Withdrawal Form (pdf) .
The Alberta Municipal Affairs website also provides online information in the form of various guides, frequently asked questions, and other resources.

If you have any questions about filing a complaint, contact the Clerk of the Regional Assessment Review Board.

The Clerk is located in the Legislative Services department, 2nd Floor, City Hall.

Phone: 403-342-8132