Taylor Drive Intersection Improvements
- Significant road and development projects are underway in the south end of Red Deer, including:
- Alberta Transportation’s Gaetz Avenue / Taylor Drive and Highway 2 Interchange Improvements project; the project is anticipated to be largely complete by the end of 2018.
- Development of the initial stages of SouthPointe Junction (private development), including construction of the new intersection along Taylor Drive between 19 Street and 22 Street.
- As a result of these projects, intersection upgrades are needed at Taylor Drive and 19 Street, coordinating both with Alberta Transportation’s work on the Gaetz Avenue / Taylor Drive and Highway 2 Interchange Improvements project and Southpointe Junction’s developer.
- Coordination of the design of three projects, in conjunction with the work funded by the province and the private developer:
- Addition of the “loop ramp” connecting the future Highway 2 northbound collector-distributor roadway to the intersection of Taylor Drive & 19 Street (part of Alberta Transportation’s interchange improvement project);
- Intersection improvements at Taylor Drive & 19 Street required as part of the Southpointe Junction development, including dual southbound left-turn lanes (paid for by the developer); and
- Additional intersection improvements to be coordinated by the Government of Alberta and constructed by of The City.
Budget Requirements, Funding Source and Council Decision Points
|Taylor Drive – intersection improvements (project 3)||$2,904,000||Long term debt – for City component of project 3|
$153,300 was approved at 2016 mid-year budget for design.