Cannabis Retail Applications

Cannabis Retail Sales outlets are allowed on a discretionary basis in Red Deer. Whether you’re going to locate in a vacant space or an existing retail location, you’ll need several permits if you’re planning on opening a Cannabis Retail Sales business.

How do I apply?

Applicants are required to submit their application package which includes documents such as, but not limited to, a completed Development Permit - Change of Use (pdf) , Letter of Intent (pdf) , and written confirmation from AGLC that the applicant has submitted an application to them for the pre qualification process.

Applications must be submitted in person and will not be accepted via email. Incomplete applications may not be processed, applicants should ensure that all required documents are provided upon submission. There will be a specific Development permit fee for Cannabis Retail Sales which is yet to be determined.

Who can apply?

Anyone authorized to do so on behalf of the occupant can apply. You will need to provide a Letter of Intent (pdf) . If you are not the owner of the property, you will also need a Letter of Authorization (pdf) .

Required Forms

What does Cannabis Retail Sales mean?

"Cannabis Retail Sales” means a retail store that is licensed by the Province of Alberta to lawfully sell Cannabis and Cannabis Accessories to individuals who attend the premises.

Where can Cannabis Retail Sales be located?

The City of Red Deer will accept applications for Cannabis Retail Sales as a Discretionary Use in the C1 and C4 Districts. When you find a potential location for Cannabis Retail Sales you can visit the City’s WebMap to check the zoning of a site. 

What else should I know?

The City of Red Deer has mandated various setbacks from sensitive locations, such as but not limited to, schools, daycares, health care facilities, City recreation facilities and other cannabis retailers. Some sensitive uses are shown on the City’s WebMap, including City facilities, hospitals, and schools. Other sensitive uses will need to be located by the applicant using online searches and in person inspections of the proposed location.

Other permits such as building, plumbing, gas, heating, electrical and Business Licences may be required.

For more information, call Inspections & Licensing at 403-342-8190 or visit us on the third floor of City Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.