As the cold weather persists, Red Deer RCMP remind drivers of the importance of not leaving idling vehicles unattended with keys inside.
Vehicles left running and unattended present a crime of opportunity for criminals. It takes mere seconds for a thief to drive away in a vehicle that’s been left unlocked and running. And if your vehicle contains your wallet with credit cards and ID, they could be used to commit identity theft crimes.
In such cold weather, police understand that it’s necessary to warm up vehicles. Red Deer RCMP offer these recommendations to help prevent vehicle theft:
· If you need to leave keys in the ignition, remain inside your vehicle as it warms up
· Lock your vehicle every time you step away from it
· Do not leave your vehicle running, even if it’s locked
· Do not leave keys in the ignition while fueling up at gas stations
· Do not keep spare keys hidden in your vehicle or in your garage
· Always lock your garage, and lock the door between attached garages and homes
· Do not leave valuables in sight in your vehicle
Red Deer RCMP