Tax notices are prepared and mailed mid May of every year.
BIA Frequently Asked Questions
Tax and Assessment
- At City Hall - 4914 48 Avenue Red Deer, AB. Business owners may drop off a cheque and the detachable portion of the tax notice in the drop box at City Hall.
- By mail – must be postmarked by June 30.
- Through your financial institution – check processing times as payment must be received by The City by June 30. The BIA roll number starts with “35” and is eleven digits in length.
- In Person at City Hall – in person by cash, debit card or cheque. If paying by debit card, please check your transaction limits prior to coming to City Hall. Payment can be made at the Cashiers on the main floor, office hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Payment is due in full on June 30.
Any balances remaining unpaid after the due date will be charged penalties per the Tax Penalty Bylaw.
To view account balances, transaction history and obtain copies of bills for free, please use your BIA tax roll number and access code from your BIA Tax Notice to sign up for MyCity access.
Copies of tax documents may be requested from our office for a fee, which must be pre-paid prior to processing.
- As per the fees and charges bylaw, a transfer fee will apply.
- Please contact Tax and Assessment at 403-342-8126 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with all the information regarding the payment. Include the department/account the money was paid to, the date, and the amount paid.
Please complete the Property Tax Refund Form by January 31 of the following year. A $15 refund fee will be deducted from all approved refunds. Taxes will not be pro-rated below the minimum BIA tax amount, and will only be processed if there is a credit on the account.
Anyone who operates the business is responsible to pay the BIA taxes.
- Assessments are based on the space a business occupies and is calculated on Net Rental Value which is the square footage multiplied by the rental rates from the prior year.
- The amount of tax to be collected is based on the BIA’s annual budget.
A minimum tax is a baseline amount set annually that all members pay to fund services provided regardless of the size of the business.
All businesses operating within the BIA are subject to tax. You cannot opt out of paying BIA taxes as it is legislated through BIA regulations and bylaw.
You will need to notify Revenue and Assessment.
- You may receive a Supplementary tax notice if you moved in before September 30.
A Business Improvement Area (BIA) is an area established to focus on beautification, parking and promoting business within that area. An annual tax is levied on the businesses to fund these programs and services.
The City of Red Deer currently has one BIA, the Downtown Business Association (DBA). The DBA focuses on promoting the Downtown by providing an experience via special events as well as arts and culture, and increasing the beautification of the area.
- All businesses within the prescribed area are members of the BIA.
- Learn more about the Downtown Business Association (DBA) zone.
The City of Red Deer is responsible to assess, levy and collect tax from the applicable businesses within a BIA. The tax notices are mailed in May, with a payment due date of the last business day in June.
Call The City if you have questions on your assessment or tax notice.
The Association that is created for the Business Improvement Area is responsible for:
- All programs and services administered by the BIA.
- Preparing an annual budget for the funding of programs and services, which are administered by the BIA.
Contact the BIA if you have questions regarding the budget or services provided.
- Approves the proposed budget prepared/presented by the BIA board.
- Approves the tax rate and minimum tax value.
- Council members may sit on the board of a BIA.