What is The City doing?
The health and safety of our community is our top priority. Learn more about our response to the COVID-19 pandemic and how this impacts you as a citizen.
Measures taken by The City of Red Deer include:
- Effective June 21, 2021, City Hall reopening for payments and in-person customer service.
- Registration for added recreation and culture opportunities begins on Thursday, June 10 based on Stage Two of the Province's reopening plan.
- Due to the provincial announcement on April 29, 2021, The City announced the closure of all indoor recreation facilites. Read more.
- On March 10, 2021 The City provided new recreation options for residents with online virtual fitness classes as well as household facility rentals - At home or with your household – new recreation opportunities available.
- On December 9, 2020, The City announced the temporary closure of all recreation and cultural facilities at the end of their business day on December 12, 2020. Read more.
On November 23, 2020, City Council passed Bylaw 3656/2020: The Face Covering in Public Places Bylaw. This bylaw requires face coverings be worn inside most indoor public places and in public vehicles, unless otherwise exempted under the bylaw.
On November 16, 2020, Council passed Bylaw 3657-2020: Face Coverings in Civic Facilities. This bylaw requires face coverings be worn inside any City building that the public is permitted to enter, where services are provided to the public. The bylaw is effective immediately. At the same meeting, Council passed first and second reading of a second bylaw which would require face coverings be worn in all public spaces. The bylaw will return to Council for third reading on Monday, November 23. More details at reddeer.ca/masks
- On August 17, 2020 City Council passed a bylaw requiring face coverings on City Transit. With respect to a general face covering bylaw, Council tabled Bylaw 3653/2020 up to December 31, 2020 pending direction from Alberta Health Services with concerns about the number of active COVID-19 cases in the City of Red Deer.
- The City of Red Deer’s State of Local Emergency lapsed on June 14, 2020, after being in place for nearly three months. The City’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic will continue to be coordinated by The City in collaboration with Alberta Health and the Province of Alberta.
- City facility and amenity closures.
- City Council meetings remain scheduled and citizens are invited to watch via live stream.
- Public participation and consultation activities have shifted from in-person to online.
- The City offers text and email alerts about the City’s response to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. Click here to sign up. Standard text message rates apply.
- We have compiled a list of Resources for Businesses which includes links to websites offering supports for businesses, webinars and helpful business information.
View The City's COVID-19 Municipal Response Timeline (pdf) .