Following an eight-week construction closure, the existing G.H. Dawe Community Centre will re-open on Sunday.
This construction was part of the overall G.H. Dawe Community Centre project, with the full facility expected to open in early 2023. Effective June 26 at 10 a.m., the facility will re-open. Most amenities will be available, including the pool and gymnasium. Drop-in schedules are available here.
Some exciting changes were completed during the closure. A fully accessible change room, a pool deck party room, updated steam room and sauna and a washroom for the pre-school area were added. We’re putting the finishing touches on these amenities and they will soon be available for use. We also added new acoustical paneling and an improved air handling system in the pool area. A significant amount of “behind the scenes” work was also completed to provide the required utilities and services for future arenas and fitness spaces.
As we continue to transform our spaces, construction will continue until full project completion in early 2023. We anticipate the impact will be minimal, but please note changes to these amenities:
- The Fitness Room will not be available; some larger pieces of existing fitness equipment will be temporarily moved to the “mall area” until the grand opening of our new health and wellness spaces in 2023. Use of this equipment will require a daily admission or monthly pass.
- Playing surfaces in the arena will not be available until construction is complete, which is expected to be early 2023.
Here are just some of the changes visitors will see when the facility is complete:
- Two NHL standard ice surfaces
- Expanded fitness area, with running track and two fitness studios
- Outdoor spray park with washroom facilities
- Additional north entrance + site access from 67 Street
- Additional parking
For more information about the Dawe project and the closure, please visit reddeer.ca/DaweProject.
For more information, please contact:
The City of Red Deer