August 2018 News Archive

Subscribe RSS Feed Email

Edmonton apartment fire serves as important fire safety reminder

August 1, 2018 1:35 PM
(Red Deer, Alberta)

An improperly discarded cigarette sparked an apartment fire in Edmonton this past weekend, causing $14 million in damage and displacing all residents of the 90-unit building.

According to Red Deer Emergency Services, improperly discarded cigarettes and smoking materials are a leading cause of fires in Red Deer, and they remind residents of these safety tips:

  • Always extinguish smoking materials in deep, non-combustible ashtrays; if ashtrays are not available, use a metal pail or can. Place the ashtrays or metal cans away from anything that can burn.
  • Do not throw out cigarettes into vegetation, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses, mulch, leaves, and other similar items—they can easily catch fire.
  • Never empty smoking material directly into a trash can.
  • Never discard smoking materials outside a vehicle window.

For more information about fire prevention, please contact The City’s Fire Prevention Bureau.

 

For more information, contact: 

Julian Hedrich
Fire Prevention Officer
The City of Red Deer
587-876-1306

Communications & Strategic Planning
The City of Red Deer
403-342-8147

- end -