Due to a recent rise in destructive garage fires, Red Deer Emergency Services is offering important tips to keep your garage, and ultimately your home, safe.
The loss from garage fires can be quite costly. One of the recent garage fires has been estimated at $120,000 in damages, and with vehicles, expensive tools and equipment stored inside, the value of damages can increase quickly. Even fires in detached garages can pose a significant risk to the home.
Here are a few tips that can help prevent fires in your garage and keep your family and home safe:
- Store flammable and combustible liquids in proper containers, away from sources of ignition. Make sure lids are properly sealed so they don’t release flammable vapours.
- When using space heaters, keep all combustible materials at least a metre away from the heaters. Turn off heaters when no one is in the garage.
- When using extension cords, ensure that the cords are rated for the electrical load that cord will be used for. Extension cords are not meant to be used as permanent wiring.
- Dispose of smoking materials/cigarette butts in sturdy ashtrays or non-combustible containers.
- Ensure you keep your garage secured against unauthorized access. Confirm the overhead door has closed completely before leaving the garage.
- Garages are not to be used for living in as they lack the life safety features a home would have.
For more fire safety tips, check out the Home Safety Booklet available at www.reddeer.ca/firesafety.
For more information, please contact:
The City of Red Deer