Red Cross swimming lessons are returning to the Collicutt Centre and G.H. Dawe Community Centre Monday, July 27, starting with modified private lessons. Registration begins Tuesday, July 14.
In addition to general safety procedures for all recreation facilities, activity-specific guidelines and restrictions will be in place for swimming lessons:
- All Swim Preschool and Swim Kids 1-3 lessons will be parented lessons, meaning that a responsible parent/caregiver 14 years and older must accompany the participant in the pool and remain for the entire lesson. This includes private and semi-private lessons.
- Group class sizes have been reduced to help ensure physical distancing between participants.
- Water Safety Instructors will deliver swimming lessons from the pool deck whenever possible and follow physical distancing protocols when performing in water demonstrations. Instructors will monitor the class to ensure physical distancing is maintained between participants.
- Semi-private swimming lessons will be available for individuals of the same cohort and of the same swimming level.
- Change rooms will have limited capacity; please come dressed for swimming and shower at home following swimming.
- The use of hand dryers and blow dryers are not permitted in change rooms.
- Limited lockers are available; lockers every six feet are blocked. Please bring only the necessities (goggles, towels). At this time, there is no charge for lockers.
- Towel rentals are not available.
- The use of snorkels is prohibited.
- Shared equipment is not permitted.
Although participants may not be able to reserve their activities immediately, it is important that everyone ensure their Look ‘n Book accounts are ready to go. Check to be sure your Look ‘n Book password is working. Account support can take up to three business days so this is an important step prior to booking recreation activities.
As recreation and culture amenities open, The City strongly encourages users to remain vigilant and continue exercising caution to prevent the spread of COVID-19 including washing/sanitizing hands often and staying home when feeling ill. Facility users will be required to follow all Alberta Health guidelines and public health orders including maintaining physical distancing when possible
For more information, contact:
Communications & Strategic Planning
The City of Red Deer