Red Deer, Alberta – A 26 year old Red Deer man faces 16 Criminal Code charges after attempting to flee police in a stolen SUV with a loaded firearm in downtown Red Deer Monday morning.
At 8:45 am on October 1, Red Deer RCMP responded to a report of a stolen SUV after its owner encountered it while driving into downtown Red Deer, and saw it park in an alley in the downtown. When RCMP approached the SUV with emergency lights activated, two suspects fled the scene in the SUV. RCMP arrested a third male suspect who was on foot at the scene after a brief struggle in which the suspect resisted arrest, attempted to flee, and then was taken into custody again after a short foot chase. The owner of the stolen SUV had maintained a safe distance during the initial arrest, but stepped in to assist the police officer in restraining the suspect, who continued to struggle and resist arrest.
RCMP seized a loaded sawed-off shotgun, a knife, a tool used to break into vehicles, ammunition and drug paraphernalia. The suspect was under a number of court-imposed weapons prohibitions and RCMP determined that the shotgun had been stolen and its serial number defaced.
“RCMP always caution the public not to engage with criminals or put themselves in harm’s way, especially because, as demonstrated in this instance, the criminals may be carrying weapons,” says Corporal Karyn Kay of the Red Deer RCMP. “However, we sincerely thank this citizen for his intervention. He did the right thing – he stayed back to let the police do their jobs, then offered assistance at a crucial point, taking direction from the police officer. He played an important role in our getting to an outcome where no one was injured.”
26 year old Corim Kyle Conway was wanted on nine outstanding warrants at the time of his arrest for offenses that included theft of motor vehicle and failing to comply with conditions. He now faces the following additional charges:
- Criminal Code 355(a) – Possession of stolen property over $5,000
- Criminal Code 129(a) – Resist/ obstruct peace officer
- Criminal Code 145(3) – Fail to comply with conditions X 3
- Criminal Code 117.01(1) – Firearm or weapons possession contrary to prohibition order X 4
- Criminal Code 86(1) – Careless use of a firearm
- Criminal Code 90(1) – Carry concealed weapon
- Criminal Code 92(1) – Possess firearm while knowing possession is unauthorized
- Criminal Code 95 – Possess prohibited firearm with ammunition
- Criminal Code 96(1) – Possession of weapon obtained by crime
- Criminal Code 108(1)(b) – Possession of firearm knowing the serial number had been altered
- Criminal Code 351(1) – Possess break-in instruments
Conway was remanded to appear in court in Red Deer on October 2 at 9:30 am. The stolen silver 2003 Dodge Durango is still outstanding and Red Deer RCMP continue to investigate.
– 30 –
Corporal Karyn Kay
Red Deer RCMP