The City of Red Deer is in the planning phases for the 2022-2026 Strategic Plan and Vision 2040. We are seeking public input to help inform these plans that will influence what The City does, and how over the short, medium and long-term. Through Shape your Red Deer, chart our community’s path through 2040 we are asking residents, businesses, staff and community partners to provide their input and ideas on these plans.
Shape your Red Deer
How public input was/is being used:
We heard thousands of ideas on the future of our City and community from what residents want to see between now and 2026, and what they hope we become in 2040.
Where things are at now:
- City Council officially adopted the 2023-2026 Strategic Plan. This plan is now underway and we will be sharing our progress on achieving the strategic plan publicly and regularly. Regular updates will be posted here.
- Vision 2040 is being drafted. Once the draft is done, we will validate and publicly release. We expect to share more in Spring 2023.
What we heard:
The top three things people said they love about Red Deer was:
- Parks and trails
- The size and location
- Arts and culture, such as Ross Street Patio and events
What did we miss?
Participants told us these were the top three things we missed in the draft Strategic Plan:
- Specifics on how to protect the environment
- Downtown focus
- Specifics on being welcoming and inclusive
When asked about what vision they have for Red Deer 20 years from now. The top three themes from participants were:
- Access to Nature: Participants said they want to see more trails, paths and natural areas, with connections to surrounding communities. Participants wanted to see more trees (on boulevards), pet friendly areas, family friendly uses and activities, and safety considered.
- Community Events: Participants said they want more free community events, including cultural, arts, theatre and music-based with infrastructure to support these events.
- Downtown: Participants want to see a downtown that is vibrant, liveable, walkable, clean and resilient. They envision a downtown that is an attraction and a community gathering space, with interesting shops, restaurants, events and housing. In 2040, people see Capstone fully developed with residential and mixed development.
Read the What We Heard Report (pdf)
Questions about the Shape your Red Deer project? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Strategic Plan is City Council’s direction to the organization for the benefit of the community. A new strategic planning process begins every four years, with the swearing in of a new City Council. City Council determines its strategic plan based on several factors including, but not limited to, things they heard from citizens on the campaign trail, information shared with City Council from administration, and information collective during the public participation process directly connected to the strategic plan.
The 2022-2026 Strategic Plan is expected to be completed in Fall 2022. The final version will be shared with the public at that time.
Vision 2040 is a long-term plan to identify a vision for Red Deer over the next 20 years and identify actions The City and community can take to realize a shared vision.
If you have any questions about Shape your Red Deer, please email email@example.com or call 403-342-8147.