Building permits are required for:
Class 1 - Temporary Tents/Special Events (more than 60 square meters in area)
This class describes events that are anticipated to have minimal effect on the surrounding neighborhood, such as weddings, birthdays, trade shows, ceremonies or an expanded business function, not associated with a licensed establishment (restaurant, bar or nightclub). These tents can be erected for a maximum of 10 consecutive days.
Class 2 - Temporary Use Tents/Special Event Tents (any size)
This class describes events operating as a part of commercially licensed establishment for expanded business function (restaurant, bar or nightclub).
Class 1 and Class 3 tents require a building inspection before use
Building permits are not required for:
Class 3 - Temporary Use Tent/Special Events Tents less than 60 square meters
- This class describes events that are anticipated to have a minimal effect on the surrounding neighbourhood, such as weddings, birthdays, trade shows, ceremonies or an expanded business function, not associated with a licensed establishment (restaurant, bar or nightclub). These tents can be erected for a maximum of 7 consecutive days.
- Located on a commercial or public property with approval of the property owner, and;
- More than 3 meters from any other structure,
- Does not Cover, and is not part of a group of tents that collectively cover, more than 60 square meters of ground area; and
- Does not contain, and is not intended to contain, commercially cooking equipment
Please note that separate building permits are required for each temporary building (tent).
Who can apply?
An owner or anyone authorized to do so on behalf of the owner of the property can apply. If you are not the owner of the property you will need to submit a Letter of Authorization (pdf) .
How do I apply?
You can apply for your permit by filling out a paper application and submitting your application and the required documents listed on the Temporary Building Requirement List (pdf)
in person by visiting Inspections & Licensing on the third floor of City Hall (4914 - 48 Avenue) between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
What else should I know?
It may take up to three weeks for an application to be processed.
What inspections will I need?
The inspections required are specific to each project. A list of required inspections will be printed on your building permit. Any deficiencies identified during the inspection will need to be corrected. Re-inspections or a verification of compliance (written completion notification) may be required. Re-inspection fees or other penalties may apply.
How do I schedule an inspection?