Feasibility studies for roundabouts in Red Deer confirm that:
- With a growing population, modern roundabouts better service the traffic volume needs.
- Serious and fatal collisions are reduced by up to 80 per cent compared to a signalized intersection.
- Traffic flow is improvd and there are fewer delays becuase drivers yield rather than stop at a red light. This also reduces vehicle noise and fuel emissions.
- Modern roundabouts are statistically safer for pedestrians than signalized intersections because traffic speeds are lower and the crossing distances are shorter.
- More uniform speeds with less starting and stopping reduce idling, fuel consumption and emissions.