Kick it to the Curb
What is Kick it to the Curb?
Kick it to the Curb is a city-wide event aimed to reduce, reuse, and recycle. Residents are encouraged to place their unwanted but reusable items at the front of their curb marked with a ‘FREE’ sign. Residents are also able to explore the rest of the city to find treasures that are marked with a ‘FREE’ sign.
When is this year's Kick it to the Curb?
Spring: June 9-10, 2018
Fall: October 13-14, 2018
Here's how Kick it to the Curb works:
Giving items away
- Place unwanted items at the curb
- Mark items with the word "FREE" using masking tape, stickers, or FREE tags (pdf)
- Ensure anything you want to keep is well away from your give-away items
- At the end of the weekend bring any uncollected items back into your home. They can be donated to a charity such as Women's Outreach Shoestring Depot, Habitat for Humanity, sold or given away on websites such as Kijiji and Freecycle.
- Take only the items at the curb marked "FREE"
- Respect property; don't walk or drive on lawns or gardens
- Don't discard items on another lawn
Trash to Treasure Swap Meet
On these weekends you can bring your usable, unwanted items to Kerry Wood Nature Centre and browse for new-to-you treasures. Contact Waskasoo Environmental Education Society for more information.
Health Canada advises that it is important to be aware of the potential risks of acquiring second-hand items. Learn more about what items to avoid.
The contents of this web page and other information provided by The City about Kick it to the Curb giveaway weekend is intended as helpful advice; they are not legally binding. Participants are responsible for the goods they are giving away and the goods they are acquiring. The City of Red Deer does not accept any liability for any actions taken by participants in the giveaway weekends or for the type or quality of goods being given away or acquired as part of the giveaway weekends.
The City of Red Deer