Block Party Program
Host a Block Party in your neighbourhood!
The idea of a Block Party is simply to bring neighbours together. This can take the form of a potluck on the driveway, to a BBQ on your green space, or a campfire in someone's backyard. Getting together with neighbours provides an opportunity to get to know those people that live closest to you and help build a sense of community. Neighbours who know each other, look out for one another; whether it is to borrow a cup of sugar, to care for children in a time of need or keeping an eye out on someone's house while they are away. It's all about building community and with a Block Party it's all about making it fun!
For more information
Make your party a success with these tools and resources!
Read through our Block Party Planning Guide (pdf) to get suggestions and instructions for hosting your best block party.
Other Resources for planning your party
- Block Party Planning Guide (pdf)
- Block Party Game Request Form (pdf)
- Block Party Summer Invitation (pdf)
- Block Party Poster (pdf)
- Block Party Door Knocker (pdf) (hole punch the top and insert an elastic for an easy-to-hang information piece)
- Block Party Name Tag Template - for Avery 5163 labels (pdf)
- Neighbourhood BINGO Game (pdf)
- Neighbour's Permission to Block a Street Form (pdf)
- Consider renting a Picnic Pak, filled with a variety of sporting equipment to make your block party even more memorable.
Top Ten Reasons to host a Block Party:
- To have fun
- To get to know your neighbours
- To build friendships
- To create a sense of belonging
- To be able to borrow a cup of sugar or a ladder, or lend a hand babysitting, snow shovelling or pet sitting
- To create pride in a well-kept neighbourhood
- By knowing your neighbours, crime is reduced and safety increased
- To increase security, knowing when and who should be coming and going
- To learn about the history of your neighbourhood
- To create a group to plan many more fun events!
In some cases you may require a Special Event Permit; for instance if you are planning to block a roadway or have high risk activities such as a bouncy castle or a very large party. For more information on Special Event Permits contact Inspections and Licensing.
Funding may be available to enhance your block party. Visit our Spark Grant page to learn more.