Following a review of updated provincial guidelines announced on February 6 for child and youth team and school sports, some City recreation facilities will open for rental use.
“In recent days, we have been working closely with sport user groups in the community to understand demand for facilities, and to develop plans for a safe return to recreation,” said Barb McKee, Recreation Superintendent. “While Step 1 of the provincial plan does not allow for a full opening of facilities, we are excited to see a return to sport for our community.”
The following facilities will open for rental use only:
- Tuesday, February 16:
- Collicutt Centre Arena and Activity Rooms
- GH Dawe Centre Arena and Activity Rooms
- Servus Arena
- Kinex Arena
- Kinsmen Community Arenas (opened February 8 for one-on-one training)
- Wednesday, February 17:
- Michener Aquatics Centre and Gymnasium
At this time, these facilities will not open to the general public, and all other indoor facilities remain closed. Stage 1 of the provincial government’s four-stage plan to ease public health restrictions does not allow for general use of facilities.
“Fortunately, our ice surfaces and pools are ready for use,” said McKee. “Because of that we were able to adapt our operations quickly and respond to the strong demand from the local sport community for the use of facilities. And as soon as increased use is permitted, we will be ready to respond again.”
When using facilities, user groups and participants are required to adhere to all public health measures and guidelines. Additionally, participants are asked to follow these rules for use:
- Participants should arrive fully dressed for activities whenever possible.
- Participants may not arrive until 15 minutes before rental time and leave facility no more than 15 minutes following rental time.
- No shower facilities are available.
- No spectators are permitted. Parents/caregivers may not stay for the activity.
- An adult parent/chaperone/volunteer is permitted for athlete support in change rooms, skate change areas or for washroom access.
For those looking for outdoor recreation opportunities, Setters Place Ice Oval at Great Chief Park remains open for Activity Reservations (reservations are currently on hold until Friday due to cold temperatures). Check out other cold weather activities here.
For more information on The City’s response to COVID-19, visit: https://www.reddeer.ca/whats-happening/covid-19/
For more information, please contact:
Communications & Strategic Planning
The City of Red Deer