The following decisions were made at today’s City Council meeting:
Municipal Features Naming Policy (decision):
- A new municipal features naming policy was approved by City Council today, providing clear direction to administration regarding naming proposals for municipally owned buildings, sites and amenities in the community. Read more:
Integrated and Accessible Transportation (decision):
- Council unanimously approved a shift to how administration will maintain roadways in all four season, including the approach towards residential snow and ice control through a pilot program that will run this winter. More information on how snow and ice operations will look next winter will be shared with the public over the coming months. Read more:
Strategic Plan Quarterly Report (information):
- Council accepted the Strategic Plan Quarterly Report as information. This is our first ever quarterly report, which has baseline data for seven of the fifteen outcomes. Read the report here.
Public Hearing – Kingsgate amendments (decision):
- Following a Public Hearing, Council gave second and third reading to an application that was submitted to rezone the southwest corner of 8040 - 50 Avenue in the Kingsgate neighbourhood to allow for future multi-family residential units, and to expand the commercial zoning area along the northwestern edge. The land is currently undeveloped.
APP update and crime stats (information):
- Highlights from Supt. Glassford’s presentation include plans to enhance police response within the community by working with Alberta Health Services to create two more Police and Crisis Teams (PACT), which pairs a psychiatric nurse with an RCMP officer. Another way the Red Deer RCMP plan to enhance police response and visibility is by conducting patrols throughout Red Deer’s extensive trail network. Council also inquired about the impact the Community Standards Bylaw has had on excessive traffic noise. Read more:
Land Use Bylaw rezoning (decision):
- City Council gave first reading of an application to rezone a parcel of land at 3937 50 Street. The item will return to Council with a Public Hearing and consideration of second and third reading in the coming weeks.