To report flooding on roadways, please call Public Works at 403-342-8238.
How to prepare for flooding
- Put weather protection sealant around basement windows and the base of ground-level doors.
- Ensure downspouts are a sufficient distance from your home.
- Install a sump pump and zero reverse flow valves in basement floor drains.
- Do not store your important documents in the basement - if flooding is imminent, remove important documents and valuables from the basement.
- During a flood, don’t cross flooded streets or underpasses on foot or in your vehicle.
- If your car stalls, leave it and take care of you and your passengers.
How to stay informed
- Check this page or the City’s Facebook or Twitter accounts for updates.
- Sign up for City emergency updates with Notify Red Deer to receive updates by text, phone, email, or app notifications! Click here to learn more and sign up!
- For real-time updates and advisories, see Alberta’s current river flow.
What to do if you experience flooding
- Contact your insurance provider immediately.
- Begin cleanup and restoration immediately to ensure protection of your health and to prevent further damage to your home and belongings.
- Document everything related to the flooding. This includes: photos of damage, a detailed list of damaged property, and all costs associated with the damage and cleanup.