In light of COVID-19 and reduced staffing capacities, there may be delays with processing applications. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Who qualifies for a rebate?
You qualify if you:
- are a City of Red Deer resident
- have a current utility (water bill) account
- purchase a qualifying toilet
- dispose of your high flow toilet at the Waste Management Facility
You can apply for a maximum of two toilet rebates per household over the course of the program, which started on July 1, 2008.
Condo associations or owners of multi-family residential buildings should contact the Utilities Department prior to beginning their toilet replacement program.
Toilets installed in new construction or during renovations requiring a plumbing permit are not eligible for rebates. You do not need a permit if you are simply replacing an existing toilet.
What toilets qualify for a rebate?
Only toilets that are on The City of Red Deer’s list of qualifying toilets are eligible to receive rebates. Find these toilets on The City's list of qualifying toilets for rebate (pdf) (updated January, 2021). The toilet models listed are third-party tested and rated for their flushing performances to help ensure customer satisfaction.
Please note that the value of the rebate will not exceed the purchase price of the toilet.
How do I apply for a rebate?
Toilet Rebate application forms are available:
- in paper form (pdf)
- for pick up at City Hall, Utilities Department at Civic Yards, Waste Management Facility or at participating Red Deer retailers.
- Please note: City buildings are currently closed to the public due to COVID-19 restrictions. You are currently not able to pick up application forms at City locations.
If applying online:
- Purchase and install a qualifying toilet, and keep the original receipt. Please ensure that your name is clearly printed on the receipt.
- Remove the interior parts and seat from the old toilet and bring it with the qualifying toilet purchase receipt to The City of Red Deer Waste Management Facility for free disposal. Make sure to get a toilet disposal verification stamp on your receipt from the scale house. Toilets will not be picked up in our regular curb side collection program.
- Submit your completed application form online.
If applying with a paper form:
- Purchase and install a qualifying toilet, and attach the original receipt to your application form.
- Remove the interior parts and seat from the old toilet and bring it with your application form to The City of Red Deer Waste Management Facility for free disposal. Make sure to get a toilet disposal verification stamp on your application form from the scale house. Toilets will not be picked up in our regular curb side collection program.
- Mail your completed application package to the Toilet Rebate Program, Utilities Department, Box 5008, Red Deer, Alberta, T4N 3T4.
Rebates are processed on a first come, first served basis and will be credited to the applicant’s utility account within eight to 12 weeks.
- Toilets use more water than any other appliance in your home: about one-third of the average household’s water use.
- Replacing one 20 litre toilet with a six litre low flow toilet can save almost 25,550 litres of water per person every year.
Learn answers to frequently asked questions about the Toilet Rebate Program (pdf) or contact the Utilities Department for more information.