Thank you to all the citizens and community partners who participated in our input opportunities from May 25 to June 10. Administration presented the What We Heard report to Council on June 20. Please email email@example.com if you would have questions, comments or concerns relating to the future shelter project.
Previous Public Input Opportunities
In February 2022, The City hosted seven targeted meetings with a third-party engagement specialist to develop an understanding about downtown property owners, businesses, associations, and service providers to provide feedback on process and a particular site, that was proposed. No site is proposed or being considered by Council at this time.
The targeted meetings resulted in administration understanding there is support for a permanent shelter in the community, that citizens want to be involved in the conversation moving forward, and that there is an information differential creating misinformation in the community about the project.
On April 11, 2022, Council gave administration direction to facilitate further conversations to clarify City and community level of influence on decisions pertaining to the permanent shelter process.
On May 9, City Council directed administration to host public participation opportunities to get input on site criteria for the permanent shelter. From May 25 to June 10, The City hosted public input opportunities in-person, online and by email. A What We Heard report was presented to Council on June 20 with an analysis of the input and detailed input included.
Resources related to permanent shelter process:
- September 26, 2022: City to meet with Province of Alberta tomorrow about future shelter site
- September 12, 2022: Potential future shelter site selected by Council
- August 12, 2022: Potential shelter site list going to Council on Monday
- July 20, 2022: Call for privately owned properties for consideration during shelter site select
- July 18, 2022: Shelter site selection process moves to next phase
- July 4, 2022: Council approves Shelter Site Evaluation Matrix
- June 27, 2022: Council defines site criteria
- June 24, 2022: Council begins outlining list of site criteria for permanent shelter
- June 20, 2022: City Council to set special meeting to determine site criteria
- June 18, 2022: Permanent Shelter What We Heard Report released
- What we heard: Analysis of May 25 to June 10 input opportunities (pdf)
- Updated Heat Map displaying previously considered sites for permanent shelter (pdf)
- Site Report - Additional potential site for permanent shelter (pdf)
- May 24, 2022: Public input opportunities for permanent shelter site criteria start tomorrow
- Permanent Shelter Report Summary (pdf)
- History of Permanent Shelter Report (pdf)
- May 10, 2022: Public participation about permanent shelter site criteria approved
- May 5, 2022: Council to consider public participation and advocacy options for permanent shelter
- April 11, 2022: Confidential permanent shelter information released; next steps approved
- March 7, 2022: Development of public engagement plan on permanent shelter approved
- March 4, 2022: Council to review report and consider next steps with permanent shelter
- March 3, 2022: What We Heard report (pdf)
- February 28, 2022: Council meeting set to review full report on permanent shelter community convers
- January 22, 2022: Potential location selected for permanent emergency shelter, Map of potential permanent shelter location (pdf)
- November 2020: Memorandum of Understanding signed by The City of Red Deer and Government of Alberta (pdf)