The Red Deer Major Event Strategy and Destination Development Framework was developed to help position Red Deer as a premier tourism and event destination in Canada.
Approved by City Council in 2021, The Strategy identifies Tourism Red Deer to transition into a new Destination Development Corporation (DDC), a unified organization to oversee major event development and broader tourism development in Red Deer. Tourism Red Deer as the DDC would have three major functions, tourism marketing, major events, and destination development, which would help build community-wide capacity to transform Red Deer into a premier major event destination.
Read the Red Deer Major Events Strategy and Destination Development Framework (pdf).
Tourism Red Deer Business Plan Development
In 2022, The City and Tourism Red Deer worked together to develop a business plan, which outlines three core functions and organizational structure changes needed to grow Tourism Red Deer to become the DDC. Tourism Red Deer’s Board of Directors approved the plan in September 2022.
Within the 2023 operational budget, City Council approved new funding to Tourism Red Deer to begin implementing the TRDBP. Tourism is more than just a business sector: it is an economic driver that crosses multiple industries and supports growth in multiple ways. As the business plan is implemented, the following outcomes are anticipated for the Red Deer region.
- Tourism Red Deer is positioned to provide enhanced value to its members, the tourism industry, and the community.
- A high degree of alignment and collaboration is maintained among tourism stakeholders.
- The long-term sustainability of Tourism Red Deer and the local visitor economy is enhanced.
- Net economic, social, and environmental benefits are realized on a community-wide basis, including:
- Increased awareness of the destination
- Increased visitation to the destination
- Increased revenue for tourism-related businesses/organizations, Tourism Red Deer, and partner municipalities
- Increased satisfaction among visitors and residents related to tourism
- Increased appreciation, revitalization, and preservation of built and natural environments
To learn more or see the approved TRDBP, please visit the Tourism Red Deer website.