Important Information - Effective November 1, 2021
The memorial bench program will be on hold starting November 1, 2021 until April 1, 2022. This will allow the Parks department the chance to bring the program up to date, make adjustments to the program and review existing policies. We WILL NOT be accepting new applications at this time.
While the program is under revision, memorials may be removed from benches for a couple reasons: the bench has expired and the original applicant cannot be contacted, there is no contact information, or renewal of the bench was not completed. Removing the plaque will open up the bench for future memorials. Parks administration will attempt to contact applicants, who purchased a bench prior to 2011, to renew at the applicable rates for 5 or 10 years. If no contact is made the plaque will be removed but can be claimed if desired.
Please forward all questions to email@example.com or call 403.342.8303. Stay tuned for updated information regarding the Memorial Bench Program.
The City of Red Deer offers individuals, families and organizations the opportunity to purchase a bench to memorialize within The City's parks, trails, neighbourhoods and playgrounds. Each green powder coated, metal bench has a steel frame attached to a concrete footing. The bench will allow a bronze plaque to be attached to the backrest of the bench. There are two options when deciding to place a memorial bench:
- Existing Bench - anywhere a bench already exists, the Parks Section will replace it with a new city standard bench.
- New Bench - when inquiring about a particular spot for a new bench, the Parks Foreman must determine if the area is suited for bench placement. Parks must keep in mind the future maintenance of the areas surrounding the bench and if there is a real need, in that location, without crowding out the area if benches exist nearby. A meeting can be arranged with the Parks Foreman to discuss possible options if the first choice is not suitable.
The cost, including GST, for a memorial bench is $1307.75. This cost includes the bench, installation, the 8"x2" bronze plaque, maintenance and administration costs. Benches are permitted for
Payment in full is required prior to installation. Benches are permitted to be for a 10 year period. Renewal for an additional 10 years is $530 and a 5 year option is $265. Renewal options are not to be pre-paid at the time of purchase. If you do not wish to renew, you will receive the bronze plaque as your keep sake from the memorial.
Potential Bench Locations
- Waskasoo Park System - Kin Kanyon, Rotary Park, Heritage Ranch, and Three Mile Bend, etc.
- Coronation Park, Barrett Park - NO NEW benches allowed, limited space on existing benches
- Bower Ponds, Michael O'Brien Wetlands & McKenzie Trails - NO NEW benches allowed, limited space on existing benches
- Waskasoo Park Trail System
- Neighbourhood and Subdivision Parks
The Alto Reste Cemetery also offers a Memorial Bench Program, but the furniture is different and has additional limitations from the above. Please call the Cemetery Services Administration Office to discuss options.
Program Contact Information
The Memorial Bench Program falls under Cemetery Services. Please call 403-342-8303 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance or more information. The office is located at the Alto Reste Cemetery just off of Hwy 11 East, 3.6 km east of 30 Ave.
The City of Red Deer is not liable for any damages or losses to memorials or dedications resulting from theft, vandalism, mishaps or natural causes. We will not replace stolen plaques due to vandalism or theft. Please consider the location of the bench, keeping in mind they are in public spaces.
Unauthorized memorials will be removed without notice by the Parks Section staff.