The proposed project, as outlined in the project description of the Capital Budget as well as the grant application includes:
- modernization (replacement) of the existing ice surface to NHL standards
- addition of a second ice surface
- addition of a north entrance to the building
- site access off of 67 Street
- improved site traffic flow
- additional parking on the north side of the site
- site servicing
- expansion of fitness/programming space (including a running track)
- an outdoor spray park and washroom facility on the northeast quadrant of the property.
When the G.H. Dawe Community Centre re-opens in 2023, the Kinex Arena will be decommissioned, and the building will be demolished. The Kinex Arena has reached the end of its lifespan and would require significant investment to update the facility. A thorough assessment was conducted in 2018 to determine the future viability of the building as an ice arena, dry space/field house and garage/maintenance shop. Based on the cost estimates, a recommendation was made to maintain the Kinex as needed until the completion of the G.H. Dawe Community Centre project. Repurposing the facility was determined to not be a viable solution.