The project included:
- modernization (replacement) of the existing ice surface to NHL standards
- addition of a second ice surface
- addition of a north entrance to the building
- site access off of 67 Street
- improved site traffic flow
- additional parking on the north side of the site
- site servicing
- expansion of fitness/programming space (including a running track)
- an outdoor spray park and washroom facility on the northeast quadrant of the property.
With the G.H. Dawe Community Centre ice surface open, the Kinex Arena will be decommissioned. The Kinex Arena has reached the end of its lifespan and would require significant investment to update the facility for community sport purposes. A thorough assessment was conducted in 2018 to determine the future viability of the building. Based on the cost estimates, a recommendation was made to maintain the Kinex as needed until the completion of the G.H. Dawe Community Centre project. The City has no current plan for the continued operation of the Kinex Arena.
View renderings of the G.H. Dawe Community Centre.